Pages

Wednesday 12 July 2017

Day 6-Winter Learning Journey

Day #6: Native Aotearoa
Welcome to Day #6 of your journey and the last day in the south island. You are going to start the day by traveling 63 km north up State Highway 1 from Dunedin to a place called ‘Shag Point.’ Shag Point is one of five places in the south island where the Maori arrived hundreds of years ago to settle in New Zealand. They arrived at Shag Point in large canoes called ‘wakas.’ For more information on Shag Point and other Maori landing places, go to the Waka landing places website.

C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\NZ Map - Schematic.png




http://www.kiwidaydreaming.com/p/new-zealand-maps.html
Activity 1: Let’s imagine that you were on the first waka to arrive at Shag Point. You had never been to New Zealand before and you had no idea what to expect. Write a poem describing how you would have felt when you arrived in New Zealand. Would you have been excited or scared? I would have felt pretty nervous, I reckon…
C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Waka picture.jpg
I see ahead, miles of land
Specked with thousand green spikes
With large brown and green fans dancing in the air
Tiny miracles blossoming on the ground
Everything fresh and Beautiful
But what awaits me on this land?
Vigorous creatures,
Enormous and ferocious
Evil spirits,
Dark and intimidating
But perhaps good things await me on this land?
Beautiful animals,
Majestic and colourful
Food!,
Delicious and heavenly
Feeling nervous as ever, I will soon be able to find out.


Activity 2: After visiting Shag Point, you hop back in the van and drive all the way up the east coast of the south island until you reach the town of Picton. You get out of the van and onto the Interislander ferry. It travels back across the Cook Strait to Wellington. Wellington is the capital city of New Zealand and every winter the city hosts a huge Matariki festival to celebrate the Maori New Year. This year part of the festival is being held at Te Papa, a big museum in Wellington.
Read about the Matariki festival at Te Papa.  There are so many different things to see and do at the festival this year. On your blog, tell us about three of the events. You can choose any three events that you wish.
Timo Timo-
This event is where all sorts of people come together to celebrate Matariki through traditional Maori and Modern storytelling. Exploring a new world with movement, song and taonga puoro.


Matariki Fireworks-
This is event is where the Wellington city council lights up the sky with stunning fireworks to display over the harbour.  This commemorates what Matariki stands for which  is the celebrations of people, language, spiritually and history. Matariki to some is a Maori new year.


Tīramarama: Storytelling for kids-

This is a programme of storytelling for little kids. Told both in Maori and English. The goal of this programme is to entertain and to brighten  the young children. Their story telling sessions are interactive and delighting to a range of audiences. Various of stories are told, stories of heroes, Nz adventures, mythic creatures/characters and ancestral leaders. Stories are told of Matariki too!.


Bonus Activity: As part of the Matariki festival, there is a two day Kapa Haka competition. The haka is a traditional war dance that Maori performed before going into battle. The haka is now performed by children/adults in the community and by professional sporting teams, including our national rugby team, the ‘All Blacks.’  The All Blacks have performed various haka over the years. Watch the following three haka videos (1 – 3) and, on your blog, list the haka videos in order from best (#1) to worst (#3). There are no right or wrong answers ☺
I personally favour and always will favour the original haka that every New Zealander knows and loves, Ka Mate. The “Ka Mate” haka is well known and a beloved haka in Nz. My second favourite would be Kapa O Paonga haka, I love the rhythm and beat in this haka, but not as much as the Ka mate haka. Lastly, the last video I watched, (I don’t know the name of the haka), I didn’t favour as much as the first two. Overall, all hakas were excellent!.
#1. World Cup 2015 – All Blacks vs Argentina
#2. All Blacks vs South Africa 2016
#3.Rugby World Cup 2011- All Blacks vs France


At the end of your day at Te Papa, you head to your hotel in the centre of Wellington. You are staying on Cuba Street, one of the coolest streets in the city.


Bonus Activity: 8 points


8 comments:

Telesia said...

Hey Luisa,

I loved and enjoyed reading your poem. What event would you go to out of the the 3 events you chose in activity 2? Keep up the great work! :)

Cheers,
Telesia

Davarni said...

Hey Pizza,

I love how you put so much information into every activity. Reading your poem was relaxing because you pointed out every detail which made it sound spectacular.

- DB

Amy Tofa said...

Kia ora Luisa,

I love your poem. I like the use of imagery and rhyme. I also like the thought provoking vocabulary you have used. I too am find the haka a very spiritual experience and every time I witness the haka I think of the ancestors in Aotearoa who did this war dance before a battle. Aotearoa is rich with culture, traditions and we are also witnessing the integration of other cultures into New Zealand such as our Pasifika cultures. I think it is a wonderful thing do you?

Luisa said...

Hi Sia, Davarni and Mrs.Tofa!,

Sia, I prefer to go to the Matariki Fireworks!, i've never been to one for a start and I just think that the sight would be spectacular. Thank you Davarni and Mrs.Tofa for your compliments on my post. Believe it or not, I whipped up my poem in five minutes!. Indeed it is, Mrs.Tofa!. Thank you all!.

-Lisa:)

Anastacia said...

Ni Hao Luisa,

I really like the three events you picked because it is so fascinating and exciting. I want to read it over and over again!, I also really love your Poem about your feelings. I like how you explained why you put first to Last Haka dance!. Good Luck and Wish you Luck.

Kind Regards,
Anastacia

cherise said...

Hey Luisa
I really love how you have used such descriptive words in your wonderful poem.
Also I love the activities you have chosen I think you would have a great time doing that.

Nice JOB
Cherise

Aaliyahna M said...

Namaste Luisa!

I love your poem, you used a variety of descriptive words to further describe how you are feeling. I am amazed that you picked the Matariki Fireworks, because I did too!! Isn't it amazing how Matariki is involved with the care of diversity? Amazing, am I right?!

Keep up the Amazing Work!

daniel said...

Hi Luisa
Excellent job on completing day six of the winter learning journey. Your poem is amazing, I like how you made it kind of long instead of really short. Keep up the great work.
Daniel

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.