Pages

Monday 19 December 2016

Summer learning journey- Day 1

Day 1 -Choosing A destination
The world is a very big and very cool place. There are currently 196 countries and approximately 7.1 billion people living on earth. For this project we are going to focus on just 10 countries across 6 continents – Canada (North America), Mexico (Central America), Chile (South America), England (Europe), Germany (Europe), South Africa (Africa), United Arab Emirates (Middle East), Japan (Asia), Malaysia (South-East Asia), and Australia (Australasia).


Please click on the World Map tab on the main menu. It will bring you to a big map. One by one click on the names of the countries and ready the ‘Quick Facts’ about each place.


Activity 1
Germany
I would like to go to Germany because I want to learn and adapt to the German ways for I am part German, also so that I can hopefully learn more about my German ancestors.
I would also like to go to visit the Neuschwanstein Castle, I have heard a lot of stories about the nineteenth century castle and I would feel very fascinated to be in an actual castle (making my child dream come true).


Image result for Germany











Activity 2-
On Google, research the country that you have chosen to visit and write, in your own words, three interesting facts about that country. They must be facts that weren’t already provided on the World Map.


Facts about Germany
  • Over 100 Germans have been awarded the Nobel prize in their field, including Albert Einstein, who was born in Germany
  • Germany has had an unsettled history, including the Nazi, hitler and the conflict between east and west of Germany.
  • Germany has legal say on what babies are named


  • Germany's capital centre has shifted seven times – these cities are Aachen, Regensburg, Frankfurt-am-Main,  Nuremberg, Berlin,  Weimar, Bonn (and East Berlin), and, since 1990, Berlin again.


Activity 3- Write a letter to a friend or family member to tell them that you are going to visit your country of choice. In your letter, please tell them where you are going, why you have decided to go to the particular country and how long you will be away. Feel free to invite them to join you, if you’d like!


Dear Mum and Dad!.


I have great news, I have decided to move to Germany but before you start worrying I will not be staying permanently of course. The cause of my decision is because I want travel the world, first starting off with our home country. I will be touring around the capital city and it has been confirmed that I will be visiting a real life castle (Neuschwanstein Castle). Hope fully on the way I would meet with some of my German friends, and learn how to speak German. For a starter I have already learnt how to say Hi (Hallo) and Goodbye (Auf Wiedersehen). Also on the last day of my visit I will be having a private lesson with a German teacher from Berlin, about our ancestors and learn about the German folk stories. It’ll be great fun!, no need to worry about me, i’ll be coming back in a week. Oh and i’ll be bringing back some souvenirs for you guys and the family.


That's all from me now. See you mum and dad.

Sincerely yours Luisa

9 comments:

Tania said...

Hallo Luisa,
My name is Tania and I am a Manaiakalani Outreach Facilitator - I work in lots of different schools with teachers and learners who, like you, are using chromebooks for their learning and blogs to share their learning. I have been emailing with Rachel and she has told me all about The Summer Learning Journey, you have made a good start on day 1. Germany seems like the perfect choice for you being part German. Do you have any family over there still? Visiting a castle does sound like a dream come true! I like the letter you have written to your Mum and Dad explaining why you are going to Germany, I imagine they would like to go with you too, lucky you are bringing them back souvenirs. Keep up the great researching, reading, writing, creating and sharing. Enjoy your summer holiday.
Nga mihi nui
Tania

Danni Stone said...

Hi Luisa,

I am so thrilled that you have chosen to participate in the summer learning journey again! I was really interested to read your blog post, particularly your letter to your parents, perhaps you could travel and see the castle in real life one day.

Amy Tofa said...

Hi Luisa, that castle visit sounds awesome. I wish I could visit a real castle. If we think about it we read about castles from a young age and a lot of movies are filmed in castes but to be inside a real castle would be quite memorable. Just some other facts about Germany for you to think about. Germany has had involvement in the Pacific Islands and you will find that a lot of Pacific Islanders have last names which originate from Germany. I know they occupied Samoa before New Zealand took over after WW2. I took German as a student in Year 8 and in my first year of college. I can only introduce myself and say a little bit about my family in German though.

Luisa said...

I am very Keen to learn more about Germany next year and try to speak German. I hope that some day that I will fulfill my dreams of visiting a real life castle.

Thank you for taking notice in my blog post Miss. Stone and Mrs. Tofa

cherise said...

HEY Luisa
NICE JOB
Come on Lisa
keep on going

cherise said...

HEY Luisa
NICE JOB
Come on Lisa
keep on going

Luisa said...

Thank you Cherise. Same goes for you :)

Unknown said...

Hi Louisa!

I'm Mark, a teacher working for the Summer Learning Journey. Wow, a few days ago I had a look and saw this first post, and that was all there was, and I come back today and you are up to Day 7! Such a nice surprise!

I really like that you've chosen Germany and am looking forward to reading the rest of your blogs today. I have a sneaking suspicion that the castle you've chosen is the one the Disney logo and Sleeping Beauty were inspired by! I really enjoyed the letter you write also, it seems like you can really write well!

I hope you are having a wonderful holiday!


Kia Kaha,


Mark

Aaliyahna M said...

Luisa, I have seen the very last day of the Summer Learning Journey. It's definitely good to see you starting off good! Have a good day :)

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.