Pages

Saturday 14 January 2017

Summer Learning Journey-Day 18-Week 4

Day 18: Famous/Infamous animals
It’s time to go to the zoo! You have been invited to tour the national zoo with some students from one of the local schools. Although you don’t really know anyone you decide to be brave and give it a go! When you arrive at the front gates, you walk into the zoo and you immediately see…
Activity 1
Imagine that you have just entered the zoo. On your blog, tell us what you think you might see on your visit. You can start with this sentence:
I had just entered the zoo when, all of a sudden, I saw humongous life like animal balloons. Floating in mid air, I can hear animal noises coming from the balloons. They must be real, wait...nope. I turn my attention to the Safari exhibit. I start walking towards the exhibit and several Giraffe heads poke out and give me an odd look. Coincidently I was eating a apple at that time, which explains the look the Giraffe gave me. I slowly approached the hungry animals. One Giraffe nudged me and I stumbled a little, exposing the other apples in my bag. I start running rapidly to the monkey exhibit, panting rapidly, tongue out and legs spread.  I grabbed out a banana out of my bag. I felt eyes suddenly shoot at me, at that moment I lifted my head to the sight of banana loving monkeys. “Oh no”. Without hesitating, I gave my bananas to the monkeys and quickly ran to the petting zoo. “I should leave before I attract other animals with my food. And i’m really hungry. One more snack.”. I pull out a carrot and I sigh immediately as I spot rabbits hopping towards me.
“Oh come on!!”.
Aim for a blog post of 8 - 10 sentences in length. You can do it.
Activity 2
When you are at the zoo, you have the chance to learn about some animals that are specifically found in your country. They are called ‘indigenous’ animals. This means that they are originally from your country. Use Google to identify two indigenous animals from your country. On your blog, post a picture of the animals and tell us a bit about them. What are they called? Where do they live? What do they eat?
Alpine Ibex
Image result for alpine ibex

Alpine Ibex are wild goats, that live in the mountains of the European Alp. Alpine Ibex reminds of a story I was told when I was younger, have you heard of the Billy Goat Gruffs. They are Herbivores, so they only eat vegetations such as, shrubs, bushes and grasses. Ibex make their homes on cliffs that would be dangerous for predators. They are smart prey. There are 5 species of Ibex, The Nubian ibex has a special way to deal with the hot, dry climates of the African and Arabian mountains. Their shiny coats reflect sunlight and keep them cool.

Bonus Activity
Sadly, there are a number of animals in the world that are struggling to survive because they cannot find enough food to eat or a safe place to live. Many of these animals are dying and, in some cases, there are very few of them left. They are called ‘endangered animals.’ In New Zealand we have many endangered species, including the kakapo, a shiny green bird that likes to make its nest on the ground. Unfortunately, the nest is really easy to get to and other animals can easily steal the kakapo’s eggs. As a result, very few new kakapo are born. There are 55 kakapos in New Zealand right now.

C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\kakapo image.jpg

http://www.arkive.org/kakapo/strigops-habroptila/image-G41488.html
The New Zealand government is trying to save the kakapo. They are looking for creative ideas. What do you think they could do? On your blog, tell us what you think should be done to save the kakapo. Please be as creative as you can!
I think Nz should reserve an island for the Kakapo to live in, and to stay permanently. The island should be filled with all the resources needed for the Kakapos to survive and to breed properly. Predators of any kind are not permitted to be on the island.
Another way to save the Kakapos, are donations. Commercials could be made to spread the word to the world and to the country. The slogan could be Save the Kakapos. I’m still working on it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Luisa!

Wow those are great ideas for protecting the kakapo. There are lots of places now that are special reserves for our native wildlife. Did you know that in some countries they have developed a cloning programme which could save a species if it ever were to go extinct? It costs lots of money though, so it is actually cheaper for us to try and keep them alive.

Oh, also, I LOVED your story! It was so funny in made me for-real Laugh Out Loud. It was also interesting to read the facts about the Ibex, I have watched a documentary not so long ago about them. They are interesting animals.

Keep up the great work!

Mark

Unknown said...

Hi Luisa,

I can vouch for what Mark has written as he sits beside me here in the office and he was just laughing out loud at this chair. When we asked him why he was laughing, he called us over to read your story!

Thanks so much for keeping us entertained, Luisa. Not only are you writing thoughtful, interesting blog posts but they're also really engaging. Way to go!!

Keep it up - we've only got two weeks to go before school starts! It's so great to know that you've been practicing your reading/writing and will be ready to embrace the new year when it begins ;)

Cheers,
Rachel

Danni Stone said...

Hi Luisa,

After seeing the comments from Rachel and Mark I had to read your blog post! What an entertaining story - I love the idea you had. It gave me a good laugh at uni!

cherise said...

Hi Luisa
I love your story
Its also very funny
Nice Job

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.